build-essential

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Mon Sep 6 02:50:37 CDT 2004

<quote who="John">

> Considering what is available in Linux today, and assuming the Bank's
> requirements are much the same, here's what I'd want were I to install
> Linux all round:
> A Desktop environment.
> A web browser.
> An email client.
> A 3270 emulator.
> Office software - WP, SS, appointments etc.

Yeah, see this is pretty much the idea behind the 'greatest common factor'
goal - make sure we have the stuff that will be useful to just about
everyone, and leave the specifics up to those who know they need them (some
users, some sysadmins).

I'm glad you raised the policy issues wrt having compilers around - that's a
very important point.

> Be sure, though, to ensure that the browser starts first time for new
> users, and opens on a document summarising the things that they need to
> know.

We haven't arranged for that yet, but it has been raised.

> It is worth considering changing the installation process to offer to
> create a privileged user account *not root*, authorised to perform system
> consifuration & maintenance, and configuring sudo to ensure this user can
> do so without the root password.

Have you installed yet? :-) The root account is disabled, so we never prompt
to set it up during the installer, and we give sudo (and other admin) rights
to the first user. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

     "On Tuesday I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with Zack and two
             ladies whom I presume are gracious." - Seth Schoen