Second call for X testers.

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Sep 6 01:35:35 CDT 2004

Daniel Stone wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 07:10:47AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>

>>No questions. X didn't start because I did not have a mouse plugged in (and
>>thus, udev did not create /dev/input/mice). Would it be possible to allow X
>>to start without /dev/input/mice?
>>
>>  (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>  (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>>          No such file or directory.
>>  (EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
>>  (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
>>  (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
>>  (WW) No core pointer registered
>>  No core pointer
>>

>The canonical answer to this is no - I could give you AllowMouseOpenFail
>as the default, but then you plug a mouse in ... and nothing happens,
>because you told X to ignore the fact that device opening would fail,
>and so it, er, did.
>
>Giving X hotplug input support isn't a bounty proposition, it's a 'give
>me a few months in a cave' proposition; the easiest way would really be
>to have udev/the kernel always have a dummy mouse around.

I don't undserstand this.

Some years ago, when I was running the then-current Red Hat Linux 7.3, I
bought a USB trackball.

I plugged it in, it worked. I did not need to logout, I did not need to
restart X, I did not even need to configure it.

I plugged it it, it worked. RH already had configured a USB mouse in
addition to whatever I had plugged in at the time I last booted.