amd64 installation report

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sat Sep 4 13:29:28 CDT 2004

First, the framebuffer wasn't activated, so the language chooser wasn't
quite so spiffy.

Then, most of d-i was pretty standard, and worked, up until it came time to
install the boot loader.  grub-install, from the version of grub currently
in Warty, fails miserably on amd64.  However, it apparently didn't even get
a chance to try, since grub-installer was missing from the initrd on the CD.
As a result, the system didn't boot.  This seems to have been a buildd
issue, and grub-installer should be built soon.

With a hint from Tollef, I downloaded a different grub package, installed it
by hand, and ran grub-install by hand.  This worked, and I was able to
proceed.

Since then, things are looking fairly encouraging.  Firefox, Evolution, and
various other desktop bits all seem to work.  OpenOffice.org is missing, but
that's a known issue and Tollef is working on it.

--
 - mdz