inetd

Cef cef at optus.net
Sat Sep 4 03:47:44 CDT 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 18:11, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 05:35:50PM +1000, Cef wrote:
> > The issue with doing this in Debian was that netbase depends on
> > netkit-inetd, so it'll be installed anyway. So unless you don't
> > consider /etc/services, /etc/protocols and /etc/rpc somewhat necessary to
> > a networked system, this was a no-no.
>
> I will simply remove the dependency from netbase.  It isn't necessary for
> our purposes..

I'd guess some packages may depend on netbase when they should really depend
on netkit-inetd. This could cause problems as detailed below:

If /etc/inetd.conf isn't present (it's usually created in
netkit-inetd.preinst), update-inetd will fail away silently (no error or
errorlevel on exit), but any entries will not be written anywhere because the
file doesn't exist. This will be a pain if you install something then realise
it needs inetd, as you'll pretty much have to reinstall it. Installing of
packages won't fail because of this though, they just won't work as expected.

In the end (after warty), update-inetd really belongs in netkit-inetd, and
anything at all that calls update-inetd needs to either handle not finding at
install. If it really needs inetd (ie: doesn't have it's own stand-alone
daemon mode),  it should depend upon netkit-inetd. I still think inetd
shouldn't run on boot either unless asked, as IMHO this should be a conscious
decision to enable it on the part of the machines owner.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net