build-essential

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Sep 3 20:13:44 CDT 2004

<quote who="Colin Watson">

> Mac OS X feels like quite a different case to me. Mac OS doesn't have a
> history of shipping with compilers or having interesting third-party
> software supplied in the form of C source code; Unix and Linux do have
> this history and context, and a lot of our users are going to come to us
> with it.

We're aiming higher than that. The vast majority of our intended audience
won't even know what a compiler is, let alone understand the history and
context of Unix and Linux shipping C compilers. A compiler is not part of
the 'greatest common factor' of software our intended audience will require.

Anyone who knows they need a compiler will know how to get it (and Hoary
will most likely have a really spiffy way of installing things like this
quickly and easily).

Let's not forget that our target market reaches far beyond developers and
the Open Source community!

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

   "Warning: we're not going to use the testing sessions as vehicles for
                    personal UI vendettas." - Anna Dirks