Kernel for Warty

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Thu Sep 2 22:56:31 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:36:44PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Issues with updating to the new kernel include:
>
> - udebs.  Currently these kernels don't build udebs, but the existing
>   linux-kernel-di/kernel-wedge stuff should work with only trivial changes.
>   To be honest, I would very much prefer that we extend the linux-source
>   package to build the udebs along with everything else, for the same reason
>   that we want to build kernels for all architectures from a single source
>   package.  This makes kernel updates much more sane, which is especially
>   important for security updates.  Colin has expressed concern with this
>   change, however, and so I am hesitant, but using linux-kernel-di means
>   that we must do (1 + architectures) package updates per kernel update,
>   rather than just one(!) if we build the udebs from linux-source

When the kernel version number changes, note that you also need to
update the debian-installer package, make sure it builds everywhere, and
get it into initrds reasonably in sync with everything else. There's a
non-zero chance of a day or so's breakage in daily CD images here.

This still gives me the willies from the point of view of staying
half-reasonably in sync with d-i. If you're happy for me to upload the
entire kernel package every time I need to change a udeb, and if someone
can come up with a way of syncing udeb module lists back and forth ... I
would be much less unhappy if our kernel packages continued to use
kernel-wedge for udeb building.

> - Initial kernel installation.  I assume we would need to s/kernel-/linux-/
>   in whichever d-i bit is responsible for installing the kernel.

base-installer.

Are we doing the -2.6- metapackage thing for all architectures? That
will reduce the need to change base-installer from one kernel version to
the next, but we'll need an initial change to get it into this system
for all architectures.

>   Are there any other issues to consider here?

debian-cd, pretty much as usual. I'd appreciate a day's warning. :-)

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]