Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Thu Sep 2 19:56:29 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 17:45 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 01:41:18AM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 17:36 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > > I've tested kudzu, and I don't find it very friendly.  It prompts the user
> > > about all sorts of hardware that they don't need to know about (USB hubs,
> > > even devices it calls "unknown").  We should do something in this area, but
> > > I don't think kudzu would be a good base for it.  Rather, a modern
> > > equivalent would interface with hal, which should greatly improve its
> > > usability.
> > >
> > Hopefully hotplug, hal and NetworkManager will provide this candy (as I
> > understand it) ...
>
> Only for network interfaces, no?  In utopia, we might want to do something
> about a hard drive (let the user format it and decide where to mount it),
> PDAs (configure a sync application), cameras (decide what to launch when it
> is connected), etc.  There would seem to be a need for something more
> generic.

Certainly.  The bedrock of that infrastructure is already starting to
firm up nicely though (the whole utopia stack, basically) and it's just
going to be a matter of inventing new and exciting things to do when hal
tells you something's changed on your system.

That "something more generic" is exactly what we've got, NetworkManager
and gnome-volume-manager etc. are in the end just trivial policy
engines.

Scott
--
~scott