New kernel packages - please test!

Herbert Xu herbert at gondor.apana.org.au
Thu Sep 2 05:50:35 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:56:32PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > Q: There has been a lot of discussion on lkml that 2.6.8+ broke things like CD
> > burning. Have we got that covered?
>
> I haven't exercised it too much; CCing Herbert for comment.

It's two-fold.

First of all 2.6.8 introduced the idea of command verification for
non-root users.  This is a good idea and we should not deviate
ourselves from upstream and Debian in this respect.

Secondly the original allowed command list in 2.6.8 was incomplete.
That broke many common operations used by CD burning software.  This
has already been rectified upstream as well as in the Debian kernel.
I've picked up the patches from Debian so we should be OK.

Cheers,
Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert at gondor.apana.org.au>