A few bits n bobs

Jenny Blower jenny.blower at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 18:45:22 CDT 2004

some of these may be just me being a tad dumb (it happens quite
often), but some may be 'issues' that need dealing with, so i thought
i'd shove them all in and see what you make of them!

* Totem isn't playing all of my movie files.  i've tried to narrow
down which type of files they are, but it seems to be some avi's, some
mpg's etc.  it tends to flag up various .dll files missing (which, of
course, i haven't noted down, but can get if they're needed!)

* Real media files.. using Windows i'd toddle to the site and download
the player.. i'm kinda assuming i can't do that now, if so, what DO i
do to play them?!

* Networking problems.. we have 3 PCs connected here (the other two
are running win XP).  i can see both their machines, but not any
shared folders.  they can see me, and one of them can see my shared
folder, but the other one can't! Scott had a looked and said something
about elections.. and i know that when we were all on Windows, we set
the machine that currently CAN'T see my folders as the master

* Webcam - tis plugged in, but, well, nothing! (intel CS330, if that's needed!)

* Sound issues.. every now and then my sound seems to go "like it's
coming out of a tin can".  I thought it was after playing video files,
but it seems to be happening on certain MP3s.  it'll go right after a
while, but again, for no apparent reason!!

* Synaptic - i refresh, mark upgrades, and apply, but it still seems
to think that it's not finished applying the changes when i try and
close the app.

* i have a portable MP3 player (all the info i have for it is "cool
trax"!), but again, nothing when i plug it in

i think that's all for now...

oh, but a few plus points..

* i've not crashed since install!! (4-5 times a day with Windows..)
* loving the colour schemes/desktop environment
* i'm no longer suffering from low RAM, something that was a REAL problem before
* most programs i need are easy to install and upgrade

so generally i'm loving my new, stable, stress free machine!

Jenny

--
Please God! Not ANOTHER learning experience!