Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop (Wifi+Battery Applets)

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Sep 1 16:41:41 CDT 2004

<quote who="Mark Shuttleworth">

> So, in the "automatic deployment" scenario, the battery applet decides
> there is no battery to manage and silently removes itself. In the "manual"
> scenario, the user has added the battery applet to his panel and expects
> it to be there and display an error if there is no battery (for example if
> ACPI or APM fail to report the battery correctly).

... aand thus the laptop-detect + panel profiles interim solution. No silent
removal (which I've *always* noted would be on-startup only, not after user
intervention), it does the right thing in the majority of cases, and we
actually have some hope of implementing it now.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

   "Stupidity is used to run 98% of the world's corporations, which tops
              UNIX server usage by quite a bit." - George Lebl