is totem confusing, or is it just me?

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Sep 1 15:18:55 CDT 2004

<quote who="Steve Alexander">

> > Does totem not meet your needs?
>
> I'm really confused by totem.  How do I just play an mp3 file I have in my
> home directory?

You can't. We don't have mp3 (or a bunch of other encumbered) codecs in
main. You can find them in universe at the moment. Plus, we can't include
xine in main because we can't split out the encumbered stuff at all. So,
we're stuck with gstreamer and only a small selection of plugins.

If you want to have a happy, encumbered-codecs-kill-kittens-but-I-don't-care
experience with totem, apt-get install --purge totem-xine. That's what I do.

 :-)

- Jeff

--
What's all that about?                           http://www.no-name-yet.com/

     "I guess there's part of me that's always resented it... to be an
   actor, you have to have someone else say yes to you." - Edward Norton