The Desktop/Computer Battle

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Sep 1 14:55:59 CDT 2004

<quote who="Scott James Remnant">

>   1) Put Home/Documents, Filesystem, Floppy/CD-ROM, Network, etc. on the
>      Desktop  (Me)
>
>   2) Put Home/Documents and Computer on the desktop, other icons inside
>      the desktop Computer icon (Jeff)

No, I support the status quo: Home, Computer, Trash and mounted filesystems
on the desktop. But as this is a relatively minor change (it's basically
just defaults and a new virtual icon), I've agreed to work with Mark's idea
for the WartyWarthog release.

> I therefore think we should consider this modification a feature, just
> like usplash etc.  We had to cut that for warty (sadly, I was getting
> quite excited about it) because it wouldn't receive enough testing --
> likewise I think we need to cut this for warty because it won't receive
> enough testing.

Well, I've suggested this many times with both my desktop team lead hat and
release manager hat on. Let's not go there. The toughest issue now is not
what's going to be on the desktop (that's the easy bit), it's making sure
that the very new Computer menu and its side-effects are a) not lame and b)
bug-free.

Let's concentrate on that, instead of bringing up (or worse, changing) the
"what goes on the desktop" issue again.

- Jeff

--
What's all that about?                           http://www.no-name-yet.com/

   "I would hack on the file selector. But I think I would write like, 3
   LOC for every 100 lines of mail I had to read/write." - James Willcox