20040901 install notes on Powerbook

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Sep 1 11:31:00 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 02:23:45PM +0100, James Troup wrote:

> o I was prompted for whether or not I wanted to use firewire ethernet?
>   I thought we'd disabled that...

It was discussed and generally agreed, but it wasn't actually implemented.

Colin, can you make the d-i changes?  I can fix hotplug.

> o base-config talks about setting root password in it's introductory
>   dialog but our installation process doesn't do this anymore.

Good catch; that needs to be fixed.

> o There's a long pause after "Initializing package states... Done"
>   (i.e. while it's trying to work out what to install for
>   ubuntu-desktop).  Might be nice if whatever this is (aptitude?)
>   printed something while it was thinking?

Yeah, I've mentioned this before.  It would be even better if aptitude were
faster. :-)

> o ubuntu-artwork no longer depends on suede-icons leading to
>   "Computer" and "Wastebasket" being generic 'paper' icons.  (Thanks
>   to seb128 for diagnosis)

Should be filed in bugzilla.

> o <whine>Wrong permission for /dev/pmu device</whine> in gnome still.

I was under the impression that it was wrong for the desktop user to have
access to /dev/pmu.  Is this not correct?

> o Still no 2nd/3rd mouse button mappings for powerbooks.

They have multiple mouse buttons now? :-P

> o xscreensaver doesn't password-lock by default yet.

Should it?

--
 - mdz