Sounder 7 usability notes

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Wed Sep 1 07:17:26 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 20:40 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Mark Shuttleworth">
> > Straw poll: when you navigate through folder hierarchies in spatial mode,
> > do you usually want to leave the old folder open, or have it closed when
> > you move to the next folder?
>
>  * gradual close-behind, either by number-of-windows or by timed-no-use;
>    this has been done elsewhere, but I forget where it was (in fact, I think
>    Scott brought it up during the Oxford meeting - Scott?)

Yeah it was me.  The basic idea is that if a folder is only used to open
another folder, after a few seconds that folder window vanishes.  Doing
anything else with the folder window, such as moving or relocating it as
well as opening other files cancels the timeout -- it's a folder you
want.

It'd work best once we have some kind of compositing manager in place,
the about-to-vanish windows could then fade out gradually giving a
visual clue that they're about to go, rather than just vanishing.  A
user who wanted that folder would react to the fade, usually by just
clicking on it -- which is sufficient to restore it to full opacity and
leave it on the desktop.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?