Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Sep 1 01:59:34 CDT 2004

<quote who="Pierfrancesco Caci">

> There's only an entry for gedit, what about providing emacs and vim too ?

Hi,

So, we really want to limit the amount of stuff in the GNOME menus, and in
this case, vim/emacs are a bit obtuse for our primary audience (the general
desktop market). vim/emacs are both in the 'Preferred Applications' lists,
so they can be used by default when you want a text editor (such as when you
open a text file in Nautilus, etc).

This is particularly relevant now that the 'Programming' menu category does
not appear in the default installed set. :-)

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

          "Not a lot of brothers there." - Jamie Foxx on Australia