Initscripts and tput

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Sep 1 01:07:45 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:49:51AM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:

> Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
>
> >After a long session hacking initscripts today, I realized that we are
> >relying on tput to get ansi control characters.  This is not bad except
> >that tput is in /usr/bin/ and /usr may not be available to use before
> >mounting filesystems.  There is a couple solutions as i see it:
> >
> >1. move tput from /usr/bin to /bin in the terminfo-bin package
> >2. fall back to hardcoded ansi control characters (may not work on some
> >strange terminals)
> >3. other solution...
> >
> >What do you think?
> >

> I still need to know...

Another alternative would be to revive script-output, but using terminfo
exclusively.

I think my preference is to move tput, though I would also be interested in
alternatives which allowed for a simplified output format (not involving
terminal control sequences) for the very early stages of the boot process
(pre-mountall.sh).

It is important that we get this right, so I'd like to hear from others on
this.

--
 - mdz