Python2.3 Sync from Debian unstable

Matthias Klose doko at debian.org
Wed Sep 1 00:54:59 CDT 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:09:01PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>

>>apparently there was some form of misunderstand, so I did not propose
>>that earlier. Matt asked me to start the discussion here. The proposal
>>is to sync the python2.3 source (and the python-defaults source to
>>provide the /usr/bin/pdb link) from Debian unstable. The current version
>>in warty is based on a build with several patches accidentally not
>>applied, and the fix for #386 applied in upstream CVS. Besides many
>>minor things fixed in the meantime for the packaging and upstream. The
>>upstream changes on python release branches are pretty conservative, not
>>to be compared with p??? upgrades ;)
>>

>Here are my concerns:
>
>- The new version is a CVS snapshot

taken from the maintainance branch, having a very conservative checkin
policy.

>- We have been testing the current version for the past two months, and have
>  only two more weeks before the preview release

the issue was brought up before the conference. This doesn't help now,
but in the future please let us handle issues when they are brought up.
We are currently testing a version, which has been tested only 12 days
by other people, not before, and not after that date.

>- The bugs being fixed do not seem particularly serious
>

>Given how close we are to the release, we need a good reason to make an
>intrusive change like this.

I do consider them serious, or else I wouldn't have brought up the
issue. Both upstream #945642 and #754449/#954922 are serious issues (and
did have RC reports in Debian).

Having the accumulated patches in the current warty currently not
applied is the intrusive change, not the other way round. Wether they
are included as separate patches or taken from the CVS branch is in my
point of view not relevant.

    Matthias