Art sites, Ubuntu exposure

Mark Turner amerine at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 02:50:27 CDT 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:09:54 +1000, Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> So I was thinking about the somewhat suboptimal situation with the two
> artwork sites, and it reminded me of a thought I had a few weeks ago
> when I first saw artwork appearing on {gnome,kde}-look.org...
>
> Having Ubuntu-related artwork on those sites is an excellent form of
> exposure - grass-roots marketing, if you will - because people will see
> the artwork there and wonder what all this Ubuntu stuff is all about.
> Hopefully they'll like the artwork and the concepts behind it, and try
> Ubuntu out.
>
> Ubuntu-specific artwork sites would not have the same effect, because
> anyone going to them would either be interested in Ubuntu, or existing
> users. So even though it's a cool thing to do (and thanks to you guys
> for having the initiative to set them up!), perhaps we should wait a
> while and let these sites attract more users for us..? :-)
>
> Ultimately, I think we do want to have more Ubuntu-specific sites out
> there, but perhaps we should try and figure out a way of working closely
> with some of the existing sites that get a lot of eyeballs. Hmm. Wonder
> if we can come up with something clever for this.
>
> This is just a bunch of thoughts from the top of my head, by the way,
> not policy or anything like that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jeff
>
> --
> Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/           Ubuntu!

I agree compleatly, but like I said before ubuntu-look.org is only in
the planning stages. I want to hear from the community members on what
they would like to see. I belive that the name "Ubuntu-Look" could
mean alot more then just an Art Work site. But everything is still
open in the air as of yet.

--
-Mark A Turner-
amerine at gmail.com