On Ubuntu Marketing

Josh Kress josh at kinjoo.com
Tue Oct 19 01:03:04 CDT 2004

Am Dienstag, den 19.10.2004, 00:32 +0100 schrieb John Levin:

> >         + Create/organize additional promotion material: an online
> >         magazine(*), t-shirts, caps etc.
>
> Does that asterix (*) point to something?
> I like the idea of an online magazine - something regular with all the
> latest news. Something like Debian Weekly news (
> http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/ ) perhaps.
>
> I generally like the magazine, once-a-month installment format - the
> internet is a constant barrage of information, regular digests makes it
> manageable.

Uups. Was late at night after a long day. OK, here is the target that
should have been in the first post:

I'm currently working on that idea! Some thoughts on this topic:

- be more like a combinated computer and lifestyle magazine (like those
fancy dead trees in the Macintosh-(i)world)

- work together with the doc team for "technical content",
spread-your-arms-docs would fit in that context

- balanced content of presenting projects, pieces of software and "just
infotainment/entertainment" content.

- maybe even a column which presents interesting social projects in
developing countries.

Note on the last one: I don't want Ubuntu to look like the holy project
in the open source world, however I think this could be a interesting
mixture. Ubuntu emphasizes on humanity with it's name, so this idea just
takes this a little further.

Maybe not, what you expected, but hey: dicussion is open and fortunatly
there can be more than one magazine for different audiences.

Regards,

Josh