gstreamer and mp3

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Oct 1 23:44:08 CDT 2004

[Since I'm diverging from discussion aimed at directly practically solving
issues with the Ubuntu GNU/Linux system, I've set followups to go to the
general discussion list "Sounder".]

Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> Please don't start that old game. Instant messaging technologies also
> require royalties or licensing, and in fact AOL and Y! wanted in the
> past to shut down cloners, however Gaim is distributed freely with all
> distros and no one cares. That's hypocricy IMHO.

"That old game" is the same though, and we didn't start it.  We'd have to
revert to 20-year old technology if we want to be as safe as possible from
losing a patent infringement suit.  This is obviously impractical.  There's so
much we can't do to avoid patent problems, it's a testament to how much of a
problem software patents are for virtually everyone who uses a computer.

It's far more practical to continue to innovate and avoid known traps (like
shipping unlicensed MP3 software to software patent-observing countries like
the US because this places those users in a horrible dilemma).  The case of
MP3s isn't a very compelling case anyhow--Ogg Vorbis provides a technically
superior unencumbered alternative we can switch to relatively painlessly.  Rip
to FLAC, encode to Vorbis, and you'll have unencumbered lossy-compressed audio
as well as being ready to re-encode later on.  There are now a number of
portable digital music players which play Ogg Vorbis (like the iRiver and Rio
Karma devices).

Ultimately, the fight against software patents is political.  Since you see how
this can adversely impact your use of the system, I hope you'll write to your
government protesting so-called software patents, and join demonstrations
protesting them.  I'm told that the fight in Europe can be won with large
public support.