promotion of Ubuntu as a Linux Entreprise solution

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 13:09:51 CST 2004

For it to happen I think that large companies such as IBM, Oracle and
perhaps even Novell needs to support it. In the enterprise large
databases for example is quite important and it's VERY common to use
Linux as a platform for there databases.

I know our company for example really need official support for IBM
DB2, IBM TSM (Tivoli Storage Management), IBM GPFS (General Purpose
File System) and even Oracle DB before we could switch from SuSE and
Redhat for our customers (our developers mostly run ubuntu or debian
already, but when we install for customers we can't use ubuntu or
debian).

This doesn't go against ubuntu's vision of free software.  It's these
large companies that needs to support ubuntu with their none-free
software, not ubuntu that needs to support their none-free software.

Regards,
Erik