Ubuntu & the underdeveloped world

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Tue Dec 21 06:04:34 CST 2004

Chuck Vose wrote:
>  Who says bad
> feelings and even hatred are bad for a community?

I've got to say I agree with this.  The ubuntu community should stay
within the bounds of the agreed standard but open discussion however
heated should always result in a win-win situation when the best
solution is discovered.

> If we worry about offending people all the time we'll never discuss
> anything nor will we ever further our personal philosophies.

again true but this has to be kept under control.  It's great for self
development but whatever the philosophy discussed we need to remember
that some people will disagree and may even find our philosophies
offensive.  It's not right to offend people when amicable solutions can
be found (one such solution was posting this to sounder to keep the
noise down on the user list) but holding back when open, frank
discussions can move things forward is just as bad

> Let the closed source cathedral builders have their social rules,
> let's have no rules and just see what happens! :P

The Ubuntu developers have a code of conduct they think user should
abide by in public.  This is a good thing and extends the natural
progression from the GPL's no clauses against persons or fields of
endevour.  While I personly wouldn't like extreme right wingers to
benefit from my free software I would rather they saw that sharing
source is a good technical and business decision so they can learn from
our community.  Sharing is good.  Sharing source, sharing control and
sharing thoughts.  But sharing should not exclude people of certain
beliefs.  See the archives for the way discussions about images deemed
unacceptable to some people grew out of all proportion.  Something not
understood by people of less conservative taste but a good community
solution was found.  a win-win situation where the whole community found
a common vision even if the decision came from above ;-)

> -Chuck

sparkes

--
<davee> "Sparkes, the Pete Best of LugRadio"