Applications in next Ubuntu

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 09:11:29 CST 2004

How about moving this to sounder?

> I want to start or continue a thread about applications on next
> Ubuntu. But, first of all, I want to congratulate all ubuntu community
> about this distro. Ubuntu is the best distro that I have used.

A me too.

> A Corporate Desktop to me should have:
> GNOME 2.8 or later
> OpenOffice
> Firefox
> Evolution

> GAIM

An instant messenger -- of dubious quality. Yes, I know some places
are using IM but, by-and-large, it decreases productivity and adds an
additional layer of security headaches for IT dep'ts.

> xmms in place of this that remember the Apple iTunes.

Do you mean an iTunes analogue? Definitely NOT appropriate for a
corporate desktop!

> Utilities that really helps somethings... like a client to Windows
> Terminal Server
> Tools to burn a CD, like K3B

> But, I think that GIMP - great app - should not be there.
> I´m not a Web Design...

GIMP is definitley needed in today's corporate environment. I work in
a dep't where you'd never think PhotoShop is necessary (public health)
but we are fighting a battle with purchasing to get a few licences
approved b/c we need image manipulation tools, DESPERATELY (and our
corporate desktop is locked down tighter than security at Alcatrez).

> I really think that we have "digital fat" to take off.

There isn't that much left to take off -- that's the reality of a
modern GUI-toting *nix.

PS Ubuntu may not necessarily = corporate desktop, but I suspect that
Canonical is probably targeting corporate desktops as the primary
source of their income (it's not like they're a hardware reseller like
YellowDogLinux).

There seems to be one thing that corporate IT managers like --
stability, low number of support calls and a way to _lock down_ the
desktop.

You need to have one of most major apps (i.e. having GNUmeric, Abiword
_and_ OpenOffice.org increasing support calls thus one choice is
probably the best way to go for a slim majority of users...
unfortunately, that means OpenOffice.org will win out).

Eric.