off topic developer question

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 16:30:30 CST 2004

I've got a question that surprisingly I've never seen any info about
in all my open-source experience online. I run a website for an older
audio effects processor and someone recently wrote a little app for
manipulating the effects and presets. Unfortunately, this person only
has access to (and knowledge of) Mac development software. If I can
talk this person into releasing his source code under the GPL, how
would I go about trying to find a developer to help port the app to
other platforms? (if it's possible at all) Of course most of my
visitors are using Windows, so that would be the ideal platform to
port to, but there's a handful of Linux users there as well. The app
is primarily dealing with copying/pasting data from one MIDI System
Exclusive (SYSEX) file to another, but I'm not sure how much knowledge
someone would actually need in that area to port the program.

Because I'm currently scheduled for a spinal fusion surgery and
laptop-less, the original developer has made the program
"donationware" for now to help with my laptop fundraising - but I
won't be raising funds forever, so hopefully he'll be interested in
open-sourcing eventually.

Any thoughts, advice or offers to help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :o)

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu