Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Aug 31 19:24:10 CDT 2004

<quote who="Sebastien Bacher">

> > Can you describe in that bug which elements are not localised? We might be
> > able to find translations for some of it (for instance, "Computer" from
> > Nautilus).
>
> According to my menu:
>
> - Computer (translated in nautilus)
> - Desktop Preferences

Should be easy to grab from existing menus.

> - System Administration

This should be 'System Configuration', by the way. Administration is a
jargon word. Can't think of an example of this in use off the top of my
head, but will look around.

> - Documents/Home and the tooltips for Documents/Home/Desktop (Go to
> the ... directy). BTW do we keep these places ? Perhaps we need better
> tooltips, I just put these ones during my changes to put something but
> I've not really though about them.

Thinking about this one.

> - Help (easy to get translated)
> - About Ubuntu... (easy too)

> > Here's two options, mail if you think of more:
> >
> >  * Create a simple "first time startup" system (like Nautilus), and remove
> >    the applets if the hardware doesn't exist on first login.
>
> Hum. What's exactly the idea here ? I'm not sure to get it ...

It basically involves patching the applets and making up stupid hacks for
first time startup - let's not bother.

> >  * Use laptop-detect to choose between two default panel profiles, one of
> >    which has battery+wifi. This might be the best shortcut for Warty.
>
> This one should pretty easy to implement yes.

Okay, let's stick with this.

> The question was more to collect ideas about the mime we need to list
> here and the default applications than to speak about the technical
> details :)
> eog instead of gimp for images .. something else ? What about documents
> if openoffice and gnumeric/abiword are installed ? I'll make a list on
> send it to the list for comments.

OpenOffice should be the default. Hrm, wonder what the best way of finding
all of these weird defaults would be...

> According to a quick run on this:
> Total Installed-Size: 434M
> Total Size: 159M

Okay, that's bloody huge. ;-) For now, let's put these in supported, and
we'll figure something out for Hoary. :-)

- Jeff

--
What's all that about?                           http://www.no-name-yet.com/

   "If the Internet really wanted to become sentient, it probably could."
                               - Raph Levien