Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at debian.org
Tue Aug 31 19:17:15 CDT 2004

Le mercredi 01 septembre 2004 à 07:13 +1000, Jeff Waugh a écrit :

> I'll make sure I get the layout recommendation to you and the list today,
> taking this into account.

Ok, thanks.

> Can you describe in that bug which elements are not localised? We might be
> able to find translations for some of it (for instance, "Computer" from
> Nautilus).

According to my menu:

- Computer (translated in nautilus)
- Desktop Preferences
- System Administration
- Documents/Home and the tooltips for Documents/Home/Desktop (Go to
the ... directy). BTW do we keep these places ? Perhaps we need better
tooltips, I just put these ones during my changes to put something but
I've not really though about them.
- Help (easy to get translated)
- About Ubuntu... (easy too)

> Here's two options, mail if you think of more:
>
>  * Create a simple "first time startup" system (like Nautilus), and remove
>    the applets if the hardware doesn't exist on first login.

Hum. What's exactly the idea here ? I'm not sure to get it ...

>  * Use laptop-detect to choose between two default panel profiles, one of
>    which has battery+wifi. This might be the best shortcut for Warty.

This one should pretty easy to implement yes.

> Yes, Firefox is the default, please make this change.

ok

> > * We need to set a default list for mime type probably (at least set eog
> Already agreed, let's do it. :-)

The question was more to collect ideas about the mime we need to list
here and the default applications than to speak about the technical
details :)
eog instead of gimp for images .. something else ? What about documents
if openoffice and gnumeric/abiword are installed ? I'll make a list on
send it to the list for comments.

> This is something we could do fairly quickly without a lot of pain in pygtk,
> would you like to do it, or delegate it to someone else?

Hum. I'm not really good at eye candy stuff and I've still a lot to do
with the desktop changes remaining, some bugs to fix and the new GNOME
releases to track. I would be happy to give this to somebody else if we
have somebody with time to do it :)

> Can you write up a list with size info?

Full list from the debian archive:

aspell-bg - Bulgarian dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 32 500
Size: 12 618 360

aspell-bn - Bengali Wordlist for Aspell
Installed-Size: 3 008
Size: 1 364 128

aspell-br - Breton dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 1 264
Size: 501 922

aspell-ca - Catalan dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 15 776
Size: 6 885 852

aspell-cy - Welsh dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 9280
Size: 4 018 552

aspell-da - The Danish dictionary for aspell.
Installed-Size: 16 344
Size: 6 824 722

aspell-de - German dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 12 832
Size: 5 246 362

aspell-el - Greek dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 17 256
Size: 7 034 588

aspell-en - English dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 4 368
Size: 1 949 602

aspell-es - Spanish dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 16 060
Size: 6 990 602

aspell-fi - The Finnish dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 35 300
Size: 12 462 302

aspell-fo - The Faroese dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 4 272
Size: 1 759 604

aspell-fr - French dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 23 032
Size: 9 367 076

aspell-ga - Irish (Gaeilge) dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 8 104
Size: 3 596 580

aspell-gl-minimos - Aspell dictionary for Galician (minimos)
Installed-Size: 20 721
Size: 7 977 478

aspell-is - Icelandic dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 4 392
Size: 1 722 754

aspell-it - The Italian dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 38 528
Size: 11 812 268

aspell-nl - Dutch dictionary for aspell, in new (August 1996) spelling
Installed-Size: 7 992
Size: 3 573 096

aspell-no - Norwegian dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 32 780
Size: 14 052 088

aspell-pl - The alternative Polish dictionary for aspell
Installed-Size: 60 200
Size: 21 338 796

aspell-pt - The European Portuguese dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 5 472
Size: 2 319 814

aspell-pt-br - The Brazilian Portuguese dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 7 392
Size: 3 216 004

aspell-pt-common - The Portuguese dictionary for GNU Aspell (common
files)
Installed-Size: 5 440
Size: 2 317 464

aspell-sk - Slovak dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 22 948
Size: 10 307 650

aspell-sl - Slovenian dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 21 160
Size: 7 415 842

aspell-sv - The Swedish dictionary for GNU aspell
Installed-Size: 4 828
Size: 1 962 756

aspell-ukr - Ukrainian dictionary for GNU Aspell
Installed-Size: 27 560
Size: 12 134 470

That's a long list of big packages ...

According to a quick run on this: