Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Aug 31 16:13:12 CDT 2004

<quote who="Sebastien Bacher">

> - we still need to take a decision about places in the Computer menu.  I'm
> not sure that adding bookmarks and devices is a good idea, it'll make a
> very long menu (and it needs some non-trivial hack which will take time)

Let's defer this to Hoary, it is far too late to be writing stuff like this.
I'll make sure I get the layout recommendation to you and the list today,
taking this into account.

> - the menu changes result with a part of the computer menu not localized
> for the moment (#941).

Can you describe in that bug which elements are not localised? We might be
able to find translations for some of it (for instance, "Computer" from
Nautilus).

> * The wireless and battery applets in the default desktop displays errors
> if you don't have a wireless device or a battery. What's the decision
> about this ? (#945)

Here's two options, mail if you think of more:

 * Create a simple "first time startup" system (like Nautilus), and remove
   the applets if the hardware doesn't exist on first login.

 * Use laptop-detect to choose between two default panel profiles, one of
   which has battery+wifi. This might be the best shortcut for Warty.

> * The wallpaper doesn't fit on screen which don't have a 4/3 ratio.
> Perhaps we should change the default mode to stretched ?

We'll be able to answer this more sanely once we have the proper artwork,
let's defer this for now.

> * Which browser is the default ? firefox ? If yes, we probably need to
> set it as default in the GNOME "prefered application" (and perhaps the
> debian alternative) ?

Yes, Firefox is the default, please make this change.

> * We need to set a default list for mime type probably (at least set eog
> instead of gimp (#479) for the images). This is done with a
> /usr/share/gnome/defaults.list file which contains "mime/type:
> app.desktop" entries. We probably want a conffile for this, so put a
> file in /etc with a symlink. desktop-file-utils seems to be the right
> package to add this.

Already agreed, let's do it. :-)

> * Is there some branding needed not done yet (in evolution for
> example) ?

I'll run through the DefaultsAndBranding list over the next week and sort
them out.

> * The "About Ubuntu..." menu entry opens the no-name-yet.com website for
> the moment. Do we want something else for this ? A nice window like the
> "About GNOME" one ?

This is something we could do fairly quickly without a lot of pain in pygtk,
would you like to do it, or delegate it to someone else?

> * We should probably remove some of the screensavers from xscreensaver
> (like the false crash screens). (#946)

Yeah, this is DefaultsAndBranding stuff.

> * The trashapplet has some issue, and no reply from the devel in 2
> weeks. We should probably drop it from the default configuration...

Yes, agreed yesterday, let's put it in Supported and fix it up for Hoary /
GNOME 2.10.

> * dictionnaries ? Some GNOME apps need to have aspell-lang packages to
> do spellchecking (gedit for example), and we don't have other
> dictionnary than aspell-en in warty ... perhaps we should consider
> adding extra ones ?

Can you write up a list with size info?

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

   "This is the new dividing line in public life. It is not a question of
    Left versus Right, but a struggle between insiders and outsiders." -
                                Mark Latham