Second call for X testers.

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Tue Aug 31 13:05:06 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 13:56 +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

> First test - autoconfiguration with hw detection tools -:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get install discover1 xresprobe laptop-detect mdetect
> apt-get --purge remove xserver-xfree86
> (be sure there is no /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file)
> echo $LANG
> (check if the language is set properly)
> apt-get install xserver-xfree86
>
> take notes of how many questions you will see (if any).

No questions.

One note, I notice that xserver-xfree86 suggests discover, but we're
using discover1.  But we also have discover2 in main as well?  Any
reason for this?

> Check now your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and compare it to the one you had
> before and try to fire up X to see if it works as you expected.
> Make a copy of /var/log/XFree86.0.log and of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Like everyone else, it's chosen pc104 for gb -- I usually use pc105 ...
I suspect this really is a !US thing as Thom suggests.

Am still only seeing "vesa" ... I thought Daniel claimed he fixed this?
The resolutions are better this time (1024x768 max, which matches my
LCD).  Still the wrong driver though.

> Second test - reconfiguration -:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> this is more a UI test than a technical test. I would like to have
> feedback if the dialogs you see are good enough to understand the
> question and so on.. keep in mind that a single change to these templates
> will kill translations too, but we can change the order of them if
> required.

The "Please enter the video card's bus identifier" dialog is evil.

All the dialogs come up in a reasonable order with the current values
filled in, seemed ok to me.

Changing nothing wrote the same configuration out ... so I guess that's
a good test :-)

> Third test - configuration without hw detection tools - :
>
> apt-get --purge remove xserver-xfree86 laptop-detect mdetect discover1 xresprobe
> (be sure there is no /etc/X11/XF86Config-4)
> apt-get install xserver-xfree86

No questions asked.

> Check again /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 comparing it with the working one. You
> will notice that the configuration is pretty different. It is important
> here to fire up X and see if it works with this new config.
> Make a copy of /var/log/XFree86.0.log and of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Actually this was almost the same as created by Step#1, except the
synaptic bit was missing and the video card name was just "Generic Video
Card".

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?