installation of nvidia drivers

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Tue Aug 31 12:57:31 CDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Lionel (Ploum) Dricot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, it seems that Warty will be shipped with nv free drivers.

yes.

> You have to :
>
> - install development related programs (gcc, ld, and you have to guess
> the rest)
> - install kernel headers

no if you use the packages that are alredy around. they should be in
universe.

> - start the executable installation (yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes.)
> - manually change "nv" by "nvidia" in the X config

no no no.. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. the driver list is built
realtime.

> So I suggest to make a package that will do all this job for the user,
> even downloading the binary driver on the nvidia website. The package
> will itself kill X, modify the conf and restart it.

sorry but i don't agree on killing X at all. If i am installing this
package inside X, i will be kicked out of the system with a possible
broken X config because the package didn't complete its installation.

I agree that it can be easier but you are not forced to used the nvidia
drivers from nvidia.com (that btw will make a lot of packages FTBFS).

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.