Yet Another Install Report

Pierfrancesco Caci pf at caci.it
Fri Aug 27 07:34:37 CDT 2004

:-> "Pete" == Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> writes:

    > I guess I'm kind of strange, so I certainly don't expect to be catered for
    > here.  Being an Australian in the UK, I'm used to the US keyboard layout
    > (even on a UK keyboard), but much prefer (UK) English for language.

No, you're not strange. I'm italian, I hate translated software, I'm
accustomed to decimal being '.' rather then the italian ',', I hate
any sort order different than POSIX (i.e., I hate uppercase
interspersed in lowercase as it would be for it_IT), and I'm puzzled
if ls -las gives me dates in anything but the POSIX format. I also
hate the italian keyboard and it's crippled way of getting to useful
keys like [{` and such. I usually configure R-WIN or R-ALT to be a
compose key, and happily use an US keyboard.

For my first sounders install I selected english/US and I see that all
locale vars are at POSIX, like I expected them to be. I still have to
configure a compose key, will probably do later this weekend.
I also have to buy some paint and a thin brush and make this weird dk
keyboard fabbione gave me become an us one, but that's another story :)

And here comes the point of this message. Is there an ubuntu-way of
setting compose ? I usually do that with xmodmap.
Is this some piece of customization that you want to offer to all
users, not just paranoids like me ?

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:p.caci at tin.it  -  http://gusp.dyndns.org
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.6.8-rc2 #1 Sun Jul 18 08:47:26 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux