Notes on how to debug X autodetection.

Matt Zimmerman mdz at alcor.net
Thu Aug 26 09:43:21 CDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 10:34:31AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

> Please take notes of how many questions you will be asked and which ones.
> Compare your previous working config with the new one. Try to start gdm or
> X to test if it works.

I tested the new stuff on my laptop.

I was asked one question, for my keyboard layout, because my locale was not
set to en_US but POSIX.  Possibly this is a difference when not running
under base-config?

The generated configuration worked perfectly.  Thanks, Fabio!

Differences from the old config to the new were:

- An InputDevice section was added for my touchpad
- Monitor section:
  - Named "Generic Monitor" rather than "Generic Laptop LCD" (only a
    cosmetic change, obviously)
  - HorizSync and VertRefresh were added (28-50, 43-75).  I'm not sure if
    these values are correct, or even used, for my laptop LCD
- Screen section:
  - Rather than a list of modes, most of which were skipped, there was only
    one Mode, which was the (correct) size of my LCD.

--
 - mdz