Yet Another Install Report

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Aug 26 09:37:48 CDT 2004

Hi,

I've been using Ubuntu 4.10 _Warty Warthog_ - Unofficial i386 Binary-1
(20040807) on my main work machine for a few weeks now, and thought I'd make
a few comments on the whole experience, which has been very good so far, but
here's the few negative things I've noticed:

* Can't set hostname (but already fixed)
* To set up the partitions and LVM how I wanted was really painful and
    confusing.
* Nautilus doesn't seem to work - it just hangs (but I don't use it anyway)
* Missing finger client
* Missing NIS/yp client/server (when using client-side yp, I always run a yp
    server locally and use it as a secondary in case of server or network
    failure)
* Once the CD is installed, no apt repository is set for updates or further
    package installs

I was (pleasantly) suprised to see it default to US keyboard layout despite
me living in the UK, but that's what I use (even with a UK keyboard).

Pete

--
pdr    - Pete Ryland              - http://pdr.cx/info/about/
xmldb  - FAST 3-tier app server   - http://pdr.cx/projects/xmldb/

  'The glib supposition of utilizing atomic energy when our coal
     has run out is a completely unscientific Utopian dream, a
         childish bug-a-boo.'  - Robert A. Millikan, 1928