about X resolutions on non-laptops (xresprobe)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at alcor.net
Wed Aug 25 10:57:56 CDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:30:51AM -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> Were I doing it, I'd be tempted to just set 1024x768 as the default
> resolution and spend my time working on a tool to make it easy for the
> user to jack up the resolution to what they want easily/interactively.

We have such a tool in gnome-system-tools; the "gotcha" (as Fabio pointed
out) is how X sets the virtual resolution at startup to the size of the
largest available mode.  The user can then switch freely between modes, but
their desktop doesn't behave the way they expect.  I imagine it is
non-trivial to allow the virtual screen size to be dynamically resized. :-/

--
 - mdz