Sounder 6 PPC review

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Wed Aug 25 04:26:41 CDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, David Miller wrote:

> In the video mode setup, the text states that "simple" configuration
> mode is disabled on laptops, but it still allowed it as a choice, and I
> foolishly chose it.  If it doesn't work, and we know it doesn't, it
> shouldn't be offered.

It is gone already.

> Once the install finished, X came up all scrambled.  I immediately
> assumed this was because I had chosen that "simple" configuration option
> instead of "medium", but no amount of "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
>   would fix it.  After doing an "apt-get remove --purge xserver-xfree86"
> and doing "dpkg -i" on the .deb file on the CD, and using the "medium"
> configuration choice, it then worked.

Fixed in ubuntu7/ubuntu8.

> There was also a new version of xfree86 up in the apt repository, so I
> installed that...  and my X hasn't worked since.

Which version did you test? Did you upgrade all the packages or only the
server?

>  Reverting back to the
> version on the CD doesn't seem to fix it, either, so I don't know what's
> broken.

There was a version with wrong dependencies (ubuntu6). That might cause
this problem.

>  Debconf gave me 1152x864 as my default choice for resolution,
> but my LCD panel only does 1024x768.  I deselected it and picked the
> 1024x768, but it seems to be trying to use that resolution anyway (and
> scrambling the screen in the process), regardless of what's in my
> XF86Config-4 file.

If you customized XF86Config-4 manually, the config script will not
attempt to overwrite it.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.