Bits about tasks

Colin Watson cjwatson at flatline.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 19:04:52 CDT 2004

In contrast to the substantial number of tasks in Debian, we've
currently got just one task in warty, namely "desktop": this controls
which packages get installed after the first reboot in the default
installation. (We're thinking of adding a "base" task too, for
upgraders' convenience.) At the moment, aptitude doesn't have a section
or a description for it, so it files it under "Unrecognized tasks",
which is kind of ugly.

With the current version of aptitude, you have to provide a
/usr/share/tasksel/debian-tasks.desc to get proper sections and
descriptions, which is also kind of ugly, and would mean we'd have to
conflict with tasksel. We could of course hack aptitude to look in a
fallback location as well, and I'll probably do that.

That still leaves what to call our tasks. The current "desktop" name is
very generic, and indeed there's a "desktop" task in Debian; I can
imagine exciting clashes during upgrades if we don't resolve this clash.
How about renaming "Task: desktop" to "Task: ubuntu-desktop", and
similarly making any "base" task we create be "ubuntu-base" instead?

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson at flatline.org.uk]