Warty-6 installer and Warty Live

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Wed Aug 25 00:55:31 CDT 2004

Hi Henrik,

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:

> I tried installing Warty v6 on a Dell inspiron 8000 with a 40 GB HD and
> a 1400x1050 display, and I have several comments. I will focus on the
> installer here, mainly because I never actually got the system itself to
> run due to a screen problem. I understand that much of the X issues and
> laptop support have been fixed in v7, so I'll download that now and
> report back.

It would be very from you to test v7, and in case there is something wrong
provide us with more detailed information on your hardware.

> 2. Keyboard questions: At the start of the install I was asked for
> language (English) and flavour (UK).

This is already fixed in v7. It should be able to guess correctly at least
80% of the keyboard layout out there.

> Ideally, I think you should ask ALL the questions at the very beginning,
> write a small parameter file and read in the values as needed.

This is already a recommended practise, but in some cases it is simply not
possible. One example for all: in order to probe LCD panel on laptops we
need to have X unpacked on the system. If the probe works we can configure
X and not ask anything, but if it doesn't we need to prompt and that would
happen in the middle of the system installation. chicken/egg problem ;)

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.