Installation Report

jorge o. castro jorge at whiprush.org
Sun Aug 15 16:16:08 CDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I just got finished installing the warty ISO, dated 07 August. Thought
I'd post my findings in here.

Test machine is a Dell Latitude D840, P4M 2Ghz, 512MB of RAM, 40GB
drive, i810 audio, and a GF4MX Go video card. The laptop is pretty
Linux-friendly, it has no problems with Fedora, SUSE, Sarge, or Progeny.

Installation was completed with no issues, almost identical to the sarge
install I had previously done on the laptop. I like that it defaulted to
asking me only a few questions vs. the sarge installer. Once it
completed and I rebooted I got a GDM screen and logged into the default
desktop.

I followed the wiki and added the no-name-yet apt source, and refreshed
my packages. During the kernel refresh it told me to reboot, so I did.

Right now it's difficult to find any differences between the default
sarge GNOME desktop and this one so I'll just hit up some bullet
comments.

Things I liked:

* User account already in the audio group (yay!)
* Utopia and 2.6 kernel out of the box. Battery applet works, wifi via
my orinoco card worked.
* g-s-t out of the box.
* Installing packages via synaptic worked as expected.

Criticisms (I assume that things like theme, wallpapers, etc. and all
that are in the works, so I won't comment on that)

* Using g-v-m I was able to launch totem when I inserted a DVD. Totem
sat there, probably because of lack of codecs, and then crashed. I don't
know what warty's goal is wrt codecs and whatnot vs. legal issues, just
thought I'd mention it.
* Computer icon shows a "Floppy 1", the computer doesn't have a floppy
drive.
* Installing nvidia drivers required me to snag the kernel-source
packages and then build my own .deb. It would be nice if these were just
bundled like Morphix. (Again, depending on legal issues)
* It would be nice to have the bitstream fonts selected for the desktop
by default.
* Desktop Preferences Menu Entry is getting crowded these days, but you
removed the HUGE debian menu, which is good.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Best way I can describe it is "Sarge
with a good set of packages picked out for you". I can't wait to see
where you guys are going with this.

-jorge