Question regarding redistribution of ubuntu-core

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat May 14 20:57:42 UTC 2016

Hi Jian

You don't need an agreement with Canonical to ship an Ubuntu Core image,
just make sure it uses the standard unmodified OS snap. This is because,
since the os-snap is unmodified, users can validate that it's exactly as
if they downloaded it from Ubuntu, so we are happy for devices to ship
without a private agreement with the manufacturer. In future, if you
decide you want us to certify the device, we offer that as a service.
But you don't need to certify a device to ship it with Ubuntu Core. This
is a major difference between Ubuntu Core and classic (deb-based) Ubuntu
images.

Mark