USB driver issues with 3G modem

Marius Heil m.heil at mwaysolutions.com
Tue May 10 16:25:58 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have false posted to the app-devel group before, so here is the updated version:
I have successfully compiled and installed usb_modeswitch, Networkmanager and ModemMager on snappy Ubuntu for Raspberry in order to get a 3G stick to work.
3G connections work well and I am almost happy with the setup, but there is one problem:
When I disconnect the 3G stick from the Raspberry while it is connected to the internet, it will produce an infinite loop of:
option_instat_callback: error -71
This could of course happen with power failure, etc,... so I have to fix this problem.

I have read through various forum posts and I could not find any fix. When I tested the same on an Ubuntu machine, it seemed to work more gracefully and the USB device
was detached successfully. What kind of USB driver is snappy ubuntu using?

I have now found this commit: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/?id=f551e13529833e052f75ec628a8af7b034af20f9
which seems to describe the problem pretty well and I am wondering what steps I would have to take to recompile the kernel / some driver, to include this patch.

My snappy image is: ubuntu-15.04-snappy-armhf-raspi2.img

Marius Heil
Software Engineer

M-Way Solutions GmbH

Sitz Stuttgart
Firmenanschrift:
Stresemannstrasse 79
D-70191 Stuttgart

Tel: +49 151 22867416
[cid:066E36B1-444E-4371-BB74-F89328B4E30E at office.mwaysolutions.com]

Registergericht Stuttgart HRB 25158
Geschäftsführer: Volker Hahn, Richard Malley

Web: http://www.mwaysolutions.com<http://www.mwaysolutions.com/>
Blog: http//blog.mwaysolutions.com<http://blog.mwaysolutions.com/>

@mwaysolutions
facebook.com/mwaystuttgart<http://facebook.com/mwaystuttgart>

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.