Commit messages

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Thu Jan 21 13:51:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 5:29 AM, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt at canonical.com>
wrote:

> So to summarize, I really like the proposal for more standardized
> merge commit messages. I would suggest to move the affected packages
> out of the summary into the body and encourage the use of tags like
> "LP: ", "Thanks: ". This would make releasing with sensible changelogs
> much easier for me.

I would prefer to keep the package list in the summary, even if it cuts
down on space a bit. The reason is that it gives much useful context for
the summary sentence itself For example, reading through the commits list
here makes it clear that committers naturally think about a local context
when cooking the summary:

    https://github.com/ubuntu-core/snappy/commits

The package list qualifies that context in a very useful way.

About the additional metadata, "Thanks:" sounds great as it gives another
incentive to a good practice.

I'm not so sure about "Affects:" though. It seems to the wrong end of it,
in the sense that it's impossible to have an exhaustive list of who's
affected by something, and it will often be missed. I'd prefer to keep the
bug as the place that tracks who's affected by a given issue, as it has
more room and may be edited after the commit is made.

I'd also keep the term as "Closes:" and "Updates:" rather than "LP:", as
that's more clearly indicating whether it's just related to the issue or a
fix for it.

How does that sound?

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net