Commit messages

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Wed Jan 20 21:30:28 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Dustin Kirkland <kirkland at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Gustavo Niemeyer
> > """
> > asserts,daemon,cmd/snap: introduce "asserts" subcommand
> >
> > New "asserts" subcommand allows querying the database of known
> assertions.
>
> It's truly fantastic that this new subcommand queries the database...I
> could see that in the source code...but "why" was that feature
> implemented, why is that useful or valuable?  ;-)

Indeed, that's a very useful guideline. Thanks Dustin.

At the same time, let's please just keep in mind that this is still a
commit log rather than a blog post. There's plenty of context that one
needs to be aware of for making good sense of those.

Assertions, as the example at hand, is a topic that has great depth behind
them which the commit log isn't supposed to explain. There will be daily
changes surrounding them that will expect that understanding to already be
in mind. The in-depth coverage is a topic distributed across the
documentation, the command help, blog posts, etc.

So why do we have an asserts command?  So that we can query the database of
known assertions. Why that's interesting? Well.. because assertions are
interesting. :-)

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net