Questions regarding Snappy framework development

lefteris lefteris at slock.it
Thu Jan 14 16:11:25 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am working on creating an Ethereum Snappy framework which is going to
be providing an interface to an always running ethereum client (daemon)
to the apps that use it.

What this means is that I need to framework-ize a daemon which must have
access to the outside world and keep downloading data (the blockchain)
and storing it in the framework's writeable location. I also need to
expose a unix socket that this daemon creates for its API internally for
other snapps to use. Other apps talk to this Socket with JSONRPC and
hence can query/interact with the daemon.

My questions are:

1) I know that dbus is the suggested method of communication for
frameworks and apps. Is that the only possible way? By defining a proper
apparmor and seccomp profile a framework could use plain sockets?

2) Are there any existing snappy frameworks that already do that? Some
nice examples to check out?

3) If (1) and (2) are impossible or "bad", Would it be a better option
and would it be considered as a "better Snappy citizen" to enforce dbus
and make an extra lightweight daemon inside the framework who would be
opening a dbus bus, listening for messages and writting them to the
actual daemon's socket inside the framework?

4) I noticed that while running the daemon as a plain snapp the $HOME
directory was correctly set to /apps/NAME/VERSION/, but when running it
as a service of the framework the $HOME directory was /root. Is that
correct?

--

Lefteris Karapetsas
Technical lead at slock.it