Images changes ahead

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at canonical.com
Tue Jan 12 08:48:57 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 11:41:06AM -0600, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> On 01/11/2016 02:45 AM, Michael Vogt wrote:
> > The next steps are:
> > - We stop image imports for 16.04 in the system-image server.
> >   So no more updates and no new snappy that contains changes
> >   that would break those systems.
>
> A nice property of the current system is that it automatically pulls in changes
> to packages from the archive that comprise the image in daily builds, etc. In
> the new world, will there be a process in place for os snap daily autouploads to
> the store? Eg, snappy or glibc or systemd in the archive changes-- will that
> trigger os snap generation and upload to an appropriate channel or will someone
> have to manually regenerate the os snap for these things?

For now we get the os and kernel build via cdimage. The import and
upload to the kernel is manual though. We talked about this during the
recent sprint and the consensus was that keeping it manual is ok
for.

I personally would prefer to have an automated process that uploads
new kernels/os snaps to the store edge channel daily (or on every
change). This brings some complications because it would mean the
store has to auto-approve uploads for certain components (kernel/os
uploads right now require manual review). I think such an auto-upload
process is fine for the edge channel, especially if we put some
automated tests around the image creation (plus snappy will
auto-rollback for totally broken images and can easily manually
rollback for half-broken images). Promotion to stable or candidate
should of course be manual.

Cheers,
 Michael