Terminology cleanup: snaps vs. apps

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Wed Jan 6 23:00:03 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:31 PM, Ted Gould <ted at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> So we have three different behaviors, with the three names: "apps",
> "services" and "GUI apps"

We have snaps that contain applications. These apps may be run in the
background.. it's of course okay to continue to call these services if you
wish, since that's terminology that exists and is well known. It's also
okay to call the graphic applications as such, and it's okay to call the
command line applications as such. Again, that's all common terminology.

That said, the dichotomy you are driving there is not what we're going for.
Graphic applications are applications. Applications that run as services
are also applications.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net