Terminology cleanup: snaps vs. apps

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 6 17:36:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 15:24 -0200, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> To make such terminology discussions even more interesting, though,
> in the recent sprint we decided to get rid of the term "binaries" in
> the snap metadata and replace it with "apps", which officially
> introduces back the term "app", but now meaning a runnable program
> within a snap.
What term do you expect to use to distinguish between a command line
utility and a graphical application? I had figured that was the
difference between "binary" and "app" before. In previous presentations
I found it useful to describe an "app" as a binary with a set of
associated metadata, but I'm not sure how that aligns with this
terminology.
Also, does this mean that services are now apps with a service
lifecycle capability?
Ted