Kernel and Gadget Specification

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Thu Apr 21 02:25:12 UTC 2016

Hello all,

There's quite a bit of anxiety towards releasing device images that can run
Snappy 2.0, and at the same time there is significant concern that we'll
release something that will soon break due to the pending design of the new
kernel and gadget format.

On that basis, this is a proposal for a minimal specification for these
snaps that will solve both of these issues:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jZqJ92g0ox9xUk8Nge3ess89dQChdMzKXrNwwgloEbc

Note that the kernel snap remains as rich as it is today, simply polishing
the way we specify the details slightly.

The gadget snap, on the other hand, is being completely stripped out. We'll
internally define a minimal working setup, and will reintroduce the
flexibility gradually under a polished layout without breaking any existent
deployments.

Comments?

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net