Call for opinions: default naming policy for USB network interfaces: MAC/path/kernel?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 9 17:02:53 UTC 2016

Hello Zygmunt,

Zygmunt Krynicki [2016-04-08 17:41 +0200]:
> I have a feeling that this is something we could handle with snappy
> interfaces. We don't have hook support which could let it enumerate and
> manage network interfaces but if we did. Could snappy itself manage
> naming of network interfaces?

Yes, of course. On the sprint in Budapest there was some discussion
about gadget snaps providing a naming which is more device specific
and thus can be much better, such as "en-red", "wl-intranet", or
similar.

So if you have any kind of oracle that tells you how to name things
then this "which default policy to pick" problem nicely goes away.
But is replaced with the fact that someone needs to provide that
oracle, of course :-)

Martin