kernel snap for generic_amd64 devices

Marco Tangl Marco.Tangl at dewetron.com
Tue Apr 5 15:07:37 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am trying to snap a kernel for my device which is running the mvo/amd64-all-snap.img,
without success so far :(

What I did:

1.       Downloaded kernel sources from git://kernel.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu/Ubuntu-xenial.git

2.       Prepared a snapcraft.yaml file:
-------
xx
type: kernel
parts:
 plugin: kernel
  kdefconfig: [defconfig]
  kconfigs:

-          CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-amd64"

-          CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=n

-          CONFIG_SQUASHFS=m
 kernel-initrd-modules:

-          squashfs
------

3.       Transferred generated kernel.snap (sudo snapcraft) to destination system (amd64-all-snap.img) and installed it.

Everything seemed to be ok .. I got the message "Reboot to use xxxkernel version xxx"

4.       Reboot system -> got stuck in initramfs

The thing is, I'm sure the yaml file isn't done in a correct way. Unfortunately I cannot find any helpful documentation (for me), examples on that topic.
Do you have an example covering this topic, or can you tell me what I am doing wrong ...

The reason why  I want to generate a kernel.snap is, that we have additional hardware for which we have a DKMS based kernel module.

Many thanks in advance,

Marco