snappy source foo

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 31 05:00:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-30 at 19:58 +0900, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> One thing I'm really missing in the apt-to-snappy transition is easy
> access to source code.
>
> ie, the equivalent of 'apt-get source foo'.
>
> I understand that not all snaps will provide source code, but today,
> many of them are in fact open source.
>
> Could the snappy development team please consider adding a field to
> the meta/package.yaml which specifies where (git, bzr, elsewhere) the
> upstream source code of the snap itself is hosted, and loop in a
> command 'snappy source foo' that does the right thing, using the
> right
> tool, to fetch the source, when possible?
I think that it's a good idea, but I don't think that it's that simple
though. The reality is that a snap could be made of from a variety of
sources, and just a single link doesn't describe enough to be able to
do many of the things that you can with apt-get source.
I'd propose that instead we leave the parts has a high level item in
the packages.yaml and basically make it so that we have one format.
Then you'd have the information to rebuild the snap, if you had access
to the repositories that held the files. Proprietary vendors could just
not ship the parts key to avoid giving out private repo names. This way
you could get all the sources that were used for that snap, not just
the base one.
Ted