Versions

John Lenton john.lenton at canonical.com
Sat Oct 31 00:16:13 UTC 2015

On 30 October 2015 at 21:31, Gábor Paller <gaborpaller at gmail.com> wrote:
> and why is the difference?

because most of the times developers will install the same package
again and again while building and debugging their program, and that
breaks some things (I don't recall the bugs, but they're in launchpad
if you care to look for them). We had two options: stop developers
from being able to re-sideload things with the same declared version,
or override it.

Given that the path to a package should not be relied on for anything
(this is why you get all those useful environment variables), and will
at some point probably go away in favour of store revisions even for
store-installed packages, it seemed like the best option.